Saturday, July 5, 2008

Feeling the space

I've never blogged before, and I figure there's not much I can say that is worth putting into the blogosphere- but this is a good way to keep track of my progress and let people know what and how I'm doing. That is, if they're interested enough. So here goes.

This is my third day here, not counting Wednesday, when I was completely overwhelmed with the newness of it all. This is a beautiful place, as photos show. The weather is wonderful- sunny, sunny mornings and so far a shower every afternoon. The clouds build up over the mountains in threatening dark masses, then the rain comes, but usually the rain is sporadic and the heat makes the sidewalks dry instantly. We've had a few constant rains- it's what they call the monsoon season here.

Everyone says New Mexico is so dry, and I guess it is, but the swamp cooler in this building keeps things rather damp. It shows in the paper I work with and in my hair, which frizzes like I'm in Florida. It's cool inside, I often need a sweater.

I'm feeling a lack of energy today. I've tried making some cyanotypes with the patterns I use for the burn drawings, but so far I'm not too satisfied that they'll add up to anything interesting. Cyanotypes are a kind of contact photograph that is made with the light of the sun. Because the chemicals cause the image to print in cyan blue, they're called cyanotypes. I've printed out transparencies from the computer to use as "negatives" for the prints. I put them outside on top of the coated paper, then wait 10 or 15 minutes, bring them in and wash them out with water. It's a very simple process. In fact, you can buy "sun print" kits for kids to use.

There are 12 of us here- 8 artists and 4 writers. It's a very mixed group. Last night we had a barbecue and most people were downing margaritas like mad. Those people do not feel well this morning. Anyway, apparently there was an altercation between a writer from New Orleans and an artist from Montana. I'm glad I went to bed earlier and that I didn't drink margaritas.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Well, it sounds as though you are moving into the process. I am going to want details of all the methods (especially the child like ones!) when I see you in August! The pics of the place look fabulous,where is it actually in Santa Fe? And yup, the monsoons are a great visual treat time of the year. Look for the rainbows!!! Do well, feel well and above all, enjoy! XO Lisa